Pushthrough is a resettled fishing community on Newfoundland’s southwest coast approximately 20 km. northwest of Hermitage in Hermitage Bay. In 1672 it was settled by the Newman Company who operated a fishing station there. In 1814 permanent settlement occurred when George Chambers from Gaultois established a store and fishing room there.
In the 1880’s Pushthrough had a school, church, post office and a lobster factory and by 1901 its population was 235. By 1945 the population decline began and by the ‘50’s-60’s young families were relocating to larger communities. With the resettlement program in effect by the summer of 1968 all the families with school age children had moved out of Pushthrough.