Lion’s Den is located in Notre Dame Bay on the northeastern part of Newfoundland. Previous to settlement by Irish and English the Beothucks inhabited it. In the 1780’s the English became permanent residents because of the rich fishery in the area.
Residents had to go to Fogo to attend church – about a thirty minute walk. Younger students up to Grade Six attended school in Eastern Tickle whereas older students attended school in Fogo.
The 1935 census reported only 35 people were living in Lion’s Den. By mid-1950 the community was voluntarily abandoned in favour of Fogo which had more amenities. Today the former community of Lion’s Den is used as a hiking trail to see the scenery and what remains of the place.